The Augustinian Convent, dedicated to the Annunciation of the Lord and to the Apostle St. Thomas, was founded in Brno in 1356. Pope Benedict XIV promoted the Convent in 1752 to the rank of Abbey, which has since been subordinated directly to the General Prior of the Order. Hence, the Abbey in Brno forms an integral part of the St. Augustine Order and is governed by its constitutions and statues. The Augustinian Order has a long tradition of learning and education in the fields of arts and sciences. Gregor Mendel was the Abbot of the Order in the years 1868-1884 and the Mendel Museum, located in the Abby's premises, is dedicated to his legacy.