September 28, 2020, 9:00 AM
The Embassy of the Czech Republic invites you to join the first annual Czech Embassy Bike Challenge. Cycle 19.18 kilometers to mark Czech Independence Day, which was established in the year 1918, and explore other great points of interest associated with the Czech Republic and its history around Washington, DC. The Challenge is open to everyone, young or old and full of sportsmanship or thirst to learn, during the race period between September 28 – October 28, 2020.
Why 19.18 km?
The year 1918 brought independence and sovereignty to the Czech people. That year, future President Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk and sitting US President Woodrow Wilson shared a friendship and vision that forever changed the map of Europe with the creation of a sovereign, democratic state on October 28. Albeit the flame dimmed with WWII and again with the communist coup d'état in 1948, President Václav Havel picked up the torch after the 1989 Velvet Revolution and carried the message of adherence to human rights and democratic values to the US Congress, where his bust and words are now replicated in stone. The Czech Embassy Bike Challenge honors the historic year of independence via its 19.18 km track and challenges all to seek out Czech connections in Washington, DC.
Learning through play
The Challenge is part of the Czech Embassy’s Mutual Inspirations Festival 2020 – John Amos Comenius. Comenius, the Father of Modern Education transformed the world through his push for universal education and reformation of teaching methods, which included learning through play. Find important places for the Czech Republic in Washington, DC, and share your pictures on social media.
DATES: September 28 – October 28, 2020
Start: Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Towpath (gravel trail) in Georgetown under the Key Bridge (map)
Finish: Mile 13 Marker at the Great Falls on Chesapeake and Ohio Canal Towpath – before Lock 15 (map)
Map of the entire 19.18 km (~12m) track from Georgetown to the Great Falls
RULES AND REQUIREMENTS:
The Czech Embassy Bike Challenge is open to everyone! Cycle responsibly and compete with others at the same time, thanks to a joint leaderboard!
Follow 3 steps to take part in the challenge:
1) Register here (https://czechembassybikechallenge.eventbrite.com)
● Download the Strava tracking app to your smartphone.
● Create a profile on the Strava app and ask to join “Czech Embassy Bike Challenge 19.18” club on Strava app.
● Anytime between September 28 and October 28, cycle the 19.18 km long track from Georgetown to Great Falls with the Strava app on (“record activity” mode). Record the entire ride. Start recording anywhere before the starting point and continue recording through and after the finish to ensure that your ride will be uploaded and tracked. Only the relevant part of the track will be recorded and uploaded into the final leaderboard.
● Feel free to cycle the track multiple times! Only the best time will be counted. The track must be cycled in the direction from start to finish. If one de-routes from the track, the results might not be recorded. Electric bikes are prohibited.
3) Learn through play
Celebrate two important dates in Czech history! The Challenge begins on St. Wenceslas Day, a Czech holiday celebrating the Czech patron Saint of Czech statehood and beer, on September 28 and ends on Czech Independence Day on October 28. Learn about sights connected to the Czech Republic or its history in Washington, DC. Share a picture or video of you and your bike with the “Czech Point“ of your choice during the “race period” from September 28 – October 28 on the Czech Embassy's social media.
● Czech Point tips:
▪ The statue of President Tomáš Garrigue Masaryk (Map)
▪ Václav Havel´s Place (Map)
▪ The Embassy of the Czech Republic (Map)
▪ The U. S. Capitol – place of President Václav Havel´s legendary speech in 1990 (Map)
▪ Capital One Arena – home stadium of three NHL stars from the Czech Republic (Map)
▪ Wilson Center – home of the famous think-tank that celebrates the legacy of President Woodrow Wilson (Map)
▪ “Your choice” – Be creative and find another place reminding you of the Czech Republic! Take a picture with your bike or cycling jersey there.
● Share the picture on the Czech Embassy’s Facebook event page or on Instagram @czechembassydc and use the hashtag #CzechBikeChallenge (NOTE: you MUST tag the Czech Embassy´s Instagram/FB handles as well as use the hashtag #CzechBikeChallenge. The Czech Embassy greatly appreciates the upload of at least one picture from each participant during the race period.
MORE ABOUT THE EVENT
Strava is an internet service for tracking human exercise which incorporates social network features. It is mostly used for cycling and running using GPS data. Strava uses a freemium model with some features only available in the paid subscription plan. To take part in the challenge, free Strava membership is sufficient. The Czech Embassy created a 19.18 km long track (segment) on Strava on a popular trail leading from Georgetown to Great Falls. By registering for the challenge and becoming a member of the “Czech Embassy Bike Challenge 19.18“ club, the Czech Embassy will be able to filter results of those taking part in our challenge with other cyclists riding on the trail and passing through the same track. There is not any official cooperation between Strava and the Embassy of the Czech Republic in Washington, D.C. and the Embassy cannot guarantee 100% accuracy of the tracking system. Please keep in mind that our challenge is not an official race as the Embassy provides solely a joint leaderboard to measure the time from your leisure ride with others.
Strava app will update the joint leaderboard for the “Czech Embassy Bike Challenge 19.18” club automatically based on the recording of all results. This is a friendly challenge, participation of everyone is encouraged, and one final leaderboard will be provided once the challenge is over. The best cycling performances and social media contributions will be awarded modest prizes, including medals and beer kits in honor of St. Wenceslas, as well as special prizes for the youngest participants.
Additional information, updates and platform for challenge tips, and tricks sharing can be found on the FB event page.
By clicking to register below, you are acknowledging that you are going to take part in the Czech Embassy Bike Challenge (“Challenge“) at your own risk. The Challenge does not constitute an official race as the Embassy of the Czech Republic in Washington, DC, (“Embassy”) provides solely a joint leaderboard for those who voluntarily cycle at the time of their choice the segment created in the Strava app. The created segment is an open trail with other cyclists, hikers, runners, and pedestrians. It is imperative that all Challenge participants obey all existing laws and regulations as well as friendly cyclist manners. Conducting activities outside of your home poses an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19. COVID-19 is an extremely dangerous disease. You and any family members and guests voluntarily assume all risks related to the Challenge and exposure to COVID-19 and agree not to hold the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic and the Embassy or any of their diplomats, staff, contractors, affiliates, employees, agents, or volunteers liable for any illness, injury, or death.